Author: V. S. Tormosheva, school 17, Vladimir, Russia
Grade Level: 9th-10th.
- Quiz "A Glimpse of Britain" (журнал "Hello" N2, 1996, стр. 2, 17).
- Учебное пособие "Интернет в гуманитарном образовании" (под ред. Е.С. Полат, Москва, Гуманитарный Издательский Центр "Владос", 2001).
- Text "A Scholar`s View on Nationality Stereotypes", Poem "The English" (Английский язык. Учебник для 10-11 кл. шк. с углубл. изуч. англ. яз. В 2 ч. Ч. 1/В.В.Сафонова, И.П.Твердохдебова. М.: Просвещение, 1997, стр.59-60,65).
Objectives: students will
- Develop their vocabulary in the areas: geography of Great Britain, monarchy, popular sports, the Beatles, life of teenagers, nationality stereotypes.
· Do exercises focused on speaking, reading, writing.
- Recognize if nationality stereotypes give people a true vision of a nation.
- Be able to write a quiz "A Glimpse of Russia".
- A map of Great Britain.
- Pictures of sightseeings of London.
- The Beatles recordings.
- Power Point Presentation "A Glimpse of Britain"(2 МБ).
- Some English dictionaries containing definitions.
A. Dividing into groups of 3.
Group work "Say a few positive words about belonging to your group". To start a quiz around Britain let`s remember the official names of the country. The group which gives the last variant will begin answering the 1st question.
B. Having a quiz in the form of a Power Point Presentation.
- Getting a question with 3 answers.
- Discussion in groups.
- Presenting an answer from a group with lots of details.
- Watching a slide with a correct answer.
C. Adding to the quiz.
Each group answers the following: What interesting information would you include into the quiz?
D. Discussing a portrait of an Englishman.
Read a poem "The English" and say what traits of the English character are revealed by the author in this humorous poem. Is it a real portrait of an Englishman?
E. Vocabulary work.
Giving definitions of a stereotype from different dictionaries.
F. Speaking about nationality stereotypes.
There is an experimental way of investigating stereotypes. It is to ask a group of people what traits characterize this or that nation. Use a list of words on the board and give 5 characteristics of the Russian people (use your own adjectives if needed):
brave, intelligent, mathematical, extremely nationalistic, efficient, musical, suspicious, aggressive, religious, lazy, tough, artistic, industrious, tradition-loving, progressive, humourless
Compare your ideas with what can be found in the text "A Scholar`s View on Nationality Stereotypes". Do you think that these nationality stereotypes give people a true vision of our nation?
G. Brainstorming ideas.
What questions would you ask foreigners about Russia?
H. Making a project.
Each group makes up 3 interesting questions about Russia with 3 answers and shares them with the class.
I. Giving homework.
Each student has to write interesting questions for a cultural quiz at home. The most interesting ones will be collected for a class quiz.